Monday, April 10, 2017

Same Heart, Same Spirit

It's About Time”

It's about time we realize it, we're all in this together.
It's about time we find out, it's all of us or none.
It's about time we recognize it, these changes in the weather.
It's about time, it's about changes, it's about time.”
John Denver (except from “It's About Time” 1983)

There's a video making its way across the internet of John Denver singing “It's About Time” in Russia in 1986, before the end of the Cold War. This song, as is true of many of his others, is all about love and brotherhood. I have to confess that I have always loved John Denver's music—ever since I saw him sing “Country Roads” in a little tavern in Colorado Springs in the early '70's. It was a time of war and unrest that produced his yearning for peace, and home. Mine, too. After thirty-four years, the words of his songs are, unfortunately, still timely.

Denver wrote: “People everywhere are the same in heart and spirit. No matter what language we speak, what color we are, the form of our politics or the expression of our love and our faith, music proves we are the same.”

It IS about time, don't you think? Time to put ego aside, and tend to our families and our neighbors. Time to stop worrying about climbing the ladder, and keeping up with the Jones, and focusing on me-my-and-mine. Time to consider that people everywhere are flesh and blood and heart and soul, and just want to live in peace. Time to reach across, and reach out, and give a hand up. Time to love this planet that is our home enough to treat it with respect.

Since this is poetry month, I am taking liberties with you. Here is a beautiful Eskimo song from the book: Earth Prayers.

The great sea has set me in motion.
Set me adrift,
and I move as a weed in the river.

The arch of sky
and mightiness of storms
encompasses me,
and I am left
trembling with joy.”

It doesn't get any more spiritual than that. May your day be blessed with beauty.

                                                                In the Spirit,
                                                                   Jane







No comments: