Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Feathered Spirit

Growing Wings

It's all right if you grow your wings on the way down.”
Robert Bly (My Sentence Was a Thousand Years of Joy: Poems)

Have you ever known someone who seemed to have their wings fully formed when they came here to planet Earth? I have known a few whose path was so clear, so non-distorted from the get-go that they never question nor equivocate. I'm not one of those. I'm still fishing around in the dark for what it is I'm supposed to do and be. Take this Faith in Action business. Most of the folks involved are ready to march, and protest, and shout and push if they have to. They are taking their discontent to the halls of power to address the systems and structures that keep people down. They're passionate and certain of their rightness. I'm certain that they're right too, but protesting in the streets is not my calling. I've done that in the past, when I, too, was filled with passion and purpose. Today, I'm only filled with questions without answers.

I think there's room for all of us. I think those whose wings are fully formed and feathered, need to fly high and far. And those of us who are tethered to the earth need to find our resonance right here. Some of us start at the top and some of us start at the bottom. It's all good. We all have our role to play. Sometimes, we play our part without ever knowing what it is simply because it's not in our best interest to have that knowledge. Spirit leads some of us from behind. She knows if we were aware of being crusaders, we'd get all swelled up and mess up whatever it is She's trying to accomplish. Some of us are tactical and strategic, and some of us are diffuse and intuitive. Both are necessary to the work of Spirit in the world.

If you are someone who's still trying to figure out why you're here, don't worry about it. You're in good company. Just trust that Spirit knows what She's doing. She'll provide the wings when you need them.

                                                                   In the Spirit,
                                                                       Jane



No comments: