Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Spiritual Awareness

The Room Below

Sometimes accidents happen without warning, but sometimes the universe gives us a nudge, a little sign. We don't have to become paranoid, we don't have to think every event means something, but we can trust ourselves to recognize a sign when we see one.”
Melody Beattie (Journey to the Heart)

Do you ever feel restless? Like something is coming, but it's not quite here yet, and you can't see exactly what it is? It's an uncomfortable gut-feeling that something is there, just out of reach. Sometimes our intuitive mind will begin sending signals ahead of time. For me, these often come in the form of dreams. They're not prescient dreams; they don't tell me an exact scenario, but they will show me a little scene and the message is, “this is how it looks in here.” Some years ago, for example, I dreamed I was standing before a wide window looking out at an ocean. Way in the distance, I saw a storm front coming, black clouds, lightening flashing, and that front stretched as far as I could see from one side of the horizon to the other. A woman stood beside me, someone I seemed to know very well, but not a person I could name. She said to me, “A storm is coming. It will be a bad one, but don't worry; there is a room down below where you'll be safe. The window in that room will never break.”

In the year and a half following that dream, I had neurosurgery to repair a completely ruptured cervical disc, my husband of twenty years left for a thirty-year-old, my older son graduated high school and went to college out-of-state, and my father died. You may say I had no warning, that the dream was just a fluke, but it doesn't seem so to me. Not only did I have warning, but I was told I would be safe, because “a room down below” with a shatter-proof window would protect me. I drew a picture of that room with the window, of the dark front coming and the lightening flashing. I was not surprised when the storm hit.

Hindsight shows us that we have warning signs all along the way if we are tuned-in. If we are awake and listening, we can grow to understand their meaning ahead of time. Not every event has special meaning, but the ones that resonate with us, that stick in our awareness, those we should pay attention to. Consciousness is everything.

                                                              In the Spirit,

                                                                  Jane

No comments: