Friday, January 1, 2016

January 1, 2016

Turning the Page

Beginnings can be delicate or explosive. They can start almost invisibly or arrive with a big bang. Beginnings hold the promise of new lessons to be learned, new territory to be explored, and old lessons to be recalled, practiced, and appreciated. Beginnings hold ambiguity, promise, fear, and hope.”
Melody Beattie (Journey to the Heart)

Every January 1st, I lie in bed in the early morning dark and think about what I hope the new year will bring that's different from the old year. I always hope for peace, but in my heart, I know there won't be peace. I hope for an end to violence, knowing that it is still human nature to be violent. Most of what I hope for will not happen in my lifetime, but I pray for it anyway. It's kind of like going into a church and lighting a candle for someone, or something, that you know is a lost cause. You do it because it makes you feel better, and because you hope against all odds that a miracle will happen. So, I will light a candle for 2016, and pray for the best.

On a more optimistic note, January 1st, is like clean sheets on the bed, mulch in the garden, fresh paint on the walls—it's a new beginning, packed with potential. It's a clean canvas on which to paint whatever you want. It's an opportunity to change the percentages on how you spend your time, to reset your priorities, and challenge yourself to accomplish something you've only been thinking about. It holds a nearly breathless anticipation of what might be just around the corner.

In order to begin something new, something old may have to end. One must turn aside, take a different street, an unexplored route, if one wants to discover new territory. I don't know about you, but there are only so many hours in a day, and I have the option of doing what I've always done, or trying something different, but probably not both. I have to choose.

And so, we move into this new year with an eye to what might change, what may stay the same, and what may happen that is totally unforeseen. It's all there—waiting for us to turn the page.

                                                        In the Spirit,
                                                              Jane


No comments: