Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Do you have faith?

Faith Today

Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.”
Rabindranath Tagor

This morning, I looked back to February, 2011, to see what the topic of my first blog post was. It was faith. What does it mean? Most of the time, when I ask other people this question, their sentences begin with “I believe in...” and then they cite the tenets of whatever religion they subscribe to. But for me, that isn't faith exactly.

Faith is more visceral. It is an abiding optimism deep in the gut and the soul, that all things happen for a reason, even if we can't see what that reason is. Faith is a strong foundation, not in a specific set of religious requisites, but in the inherent goodness of creation. In the unfolding of the universe in the direction of wholeness. Humanity takes steps forward, and steps backward, but there is ever progress, slight but steady. Sometimes we fall into chaos. Chaos teaches us lessons we need to learn. Empires rise and fall, but none remains on top forever. We often see this as tragedy, but is it? Or is it the natural ebb and flow of life. We exist for a brief moment at a particular point in the ongoing saga of life on planet earth. We are so immersed in our time and our circumstances, that we don't take a long view. The movement of humanity is steadily forward.


 Today, I give thanks for those who are willing to travel into war zones to provide food for starving people. I am grateful for organizations like Doctors Without Boarders, who give their all for people hanging on to dear life in untenable circumstances. I am in awe of Greek Islanders who go out in the dark of night to pull drowning strangers from the sea, even though they have no idea how they will manage them. I am thankful that in America we have a President who values negotiation and shared power over carpet bombing and strong-arming. I have faith in the principles of decency and respect toward all beings, and I am not ashamed of that. I hope I never will be.

I wonder about you. What does faith look like to you today?

                                                           In the Spirit,
                                                                Jane

No comments: