Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Straight from the "Bear"

Morning Prayer

This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something in its place that I have traded for it. In order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it, I want it to be: gain, not loss; good, not evil; success, not failure.”
Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant

Harry gave the Spirituality Group this morning prayer on Sunday. It is a side of the famous Coach I did not know. Bear Bryant was not a theologian, God knows, but around here he came close to being a god. He had, as we all do, good qualities and bad qualities mixed together to produce an unforgettable character. He drove his team to be the best that they could be, and then some. He came by his nick name “Bear” honestly, because of his size and demeanor, and the way he boxed his cubs to keep them in line.

When I heard this prayer, I was moved by how personal and responsible it is. This day, and every other day, is a gift beyond measure, whether or not we label it “good.”  The question of what we achieve and how we behave is up to us. We may meet with success today, or with failure, or we may simply put our shoulders to the plow and push through it. What seems important to me is to stay true to oneself. And, no matter what the day brings, to not allow the disappointments or triumphs to carry us away from serenity. I want to greet each success, or failure, with equanimity, staying centered in myself.

And, always, since we are fallible human beings, remember that tomorrow is another day with another opportunity to get it right. And thank God for that! Even “Bear” Bryant had unsuccessful days!

                                                              In the Spirit,

                                                                  Jane

No comments: