Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Considering Adversity and...

Prosperity

Prosperity is not without many fears and distastes; adversity, not without comforts and hopes.”
Francis Bacon

This time of year, when we're trying to manage gift-giving without breaking the bank, let's consider the polarities of prosperity and adversity. It is our human tendency to consider the one “good” and the other “bad.” But are they? I want to hypothesize that adversity is better than we make it out to be.

Most of us want to give good things to our loved ones, and sometimes we spend more than we should. It feels good in the moment, but handicaps us in the early months of the new year. We go from relative prosperity to relative adversity by our own hand. That adversity forces us to get creative in how we manage our finances and, thus, our lives. When I'm wrestling with finances, my fall-back position is eating out of the freezer and the pantry. I do recognize my advantage in having a freezer and pantry, but still, it's surprising what you can do with half a box of pasta, frozen peas, garlic and butter. And, I've discovered that if I don't get in the car and drive to a store, I spend less money!

Horace is quoted as saying, “Adversity reveals genius; prosperity conceals it.” When we're lean and hungry, we apply our cerebral cortex to solving the problem. I don't mean to be glib. I know there is real and true hardship and terrible need in this world. I remember stories just last summer about children eating grass in the Syrian war zone simply because there was no food. I don't make light of true poverty, believe me. But even in dire straights, people get creative.

Prosperity, on the other hand, makes us lazy, and all too often, greedy. We worry about what we have and how to keep it. We fear losing our elite status, and devise means to protect it. Here's a quote from Dwight L. Moody: “We can stand affliction better than we can prosperity, for in prosperity, we forget God.” In adversity, we pray—a lot.

The ancient Greek, one word for prosperity is “euodoo” and means, “to have a successful journey through life.” In Hebrew, the word is “Shalom,” which means, “completeness, safety, health, soundness and contentment.” In Proverbs, the writer asks for balance between being “rich” and being “poor” since in being rich one might neglect God, and in being poor one might steal, and thus offend God. “Give me my own daily bread.” Prosperity, then, is simply having enough for today, and sharing whatever you have.

                                                                   In the Spirit,
                                                                        Jane



No comments: