Friday, August 8, 2014

Your Energy Signature

Managing Our Energy

Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do, it bears your signature.” Thich Nhat Hanh

In the spirituality group, we talk a lot about energy. We talk about the way we control and use our energy. Not only do we send energy out in our actions, but in our words and in our very thoughts, even when those thoughts remain unspoken. Trying to wrap our heads around this notion of being energetic in nature is more difficult for Westerners. We think of ourselves as flesh and blood, bones and sinews, brain and organs—but not vibrations of energy. I don't know about you, but even when I studied science in high school and college, and learned about atomic structure, I did not apply it to my own body. I didn't think of myself as a living, moving mass of nuclei surrounded by protons, electrons and neutrons. But that is precisely what we, and everything else in the universe, are. We are atoms and molecules that are conscious and self-aware.

When we send out thoughts that are hateful, or damning toward others, those thoughts bear our energetic signature. When we act in a way that is kind, and refuse to engage in malicious conversation, we are using our energy constructively. That, too, bears our signature. Unfortunately, I'm not always able to constrain my ego. Sometimes I think and say things I shouldn't. When that happens, I can call that energy back to me; in essence, I can cancel it's intent. Because, you see, energy follows intention—we can say kind words, but hold mean thoughts, and the energy will follow the meanness, because that is our true intention.

Emotions such as jealousy, envy, hate and resentment carry with them harmful intentions, and can cause damage not only to the recipient, but to us as well. Vice versa, when we are acting from a place of neutrality or consideration, the energy we send out does no harm to anyone. In our polarized world, there is enough negative energy flying around to gravely damage all of us. Today, let's send out only kindness, and if we can't manage kindness, let's at least attempt neutrality.

                                        In the Spirit,

                                              Jane

No comments: