Friday, August 1, 2014

Grace at any age.

Eternal Spirit

Age has no reality except in the physical world. The essence of a human being is resistant to the passage of time. Our inner lives are eternal, which is to say that our spirits remain as youthful and vigorous as when we were in full bloom. Think of love as a state of grace, not the means to anything, but the alpha and omega. An end in itself.” Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Love in the Time of Cholera)

I remember an old man, head of the counseling program at UAB, when I applied to graduate school—Dr. Fain Guthrie. He was then the age I am now, and close to retirement, and I was in “full bloom” at thirty-three. I have to be honest, I don't remember the class he taught, though I know I took it, but I do remember well the statement he made that day as he interviewed me for the program. He said, “On the outside, I know I am an old man, but inside, I am still the person I was at twenty-one. I haven't changed at all.” I remember thinking, why is he telling me this? And yet that is the one thing that has stuck with me, as though he had planted a seed that day that would take thirty-four years to sprout.

Aging is an interesting thing, and one of the strongest reasons I believe in the eternal nature of spirit. Our bodies do change, there's no doubt about that, but as the body changes, the spirit grows ever more muscular. Love goes from being love of self, as a youth, to love of others, to love of life itself. Every spring, every summer, the greens are greener, the sky more beautiful, and we appreciate more the little moments of grace. This richness of spirit more than makes up for the creaking bones and aching joints. In fact, when one ages well, those ailments are victory signs that one has lived an active, boisterous life.

I don't mind where I am now. I am grateful for life. I can look back at the young me and smile at her intensity and her passion, but I don't need to be her again. I wonder if you feel this way. If you are young now, don't be afraid of aging. Live your life full throttle and look forward to the time when all your living will bring a smile to your face. You'll think, I'm still that person on the inside, and that's enough.

                                               In the Spirit,
                                                     Jane



No comments: