Saturday, August 30, 2014

Dealing with...

Disappointment

We must all suffer one of two pains: the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret or disappointment.” Jim Rohn

When I had my annual physical this year, I had gained ten pounds in one year. For me, that was unheard of, staggering and sobering. I had lost discipline when it came to diet. I was eating chocolate and other sweets. I had twisted my ankle back in the winter, which made exercise more difficult, and on and on. It takes discipline to stay fit at any age, but especially after fifty.

There was also some karmic debt being paid. I had always been less than kind when it came to people who were overweight. I assumed that because it was natural for me to be thin, their situation was a result of gluttony. I have now learned how difficult it is to lose weight once you've gained it, and that self-loathing compounds the problem. Even though I don't fit the category of obese, I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror with even ten extra pounds. You'd better believe, I'm back to pounding the pavement and counting calories.

Regret is an emotion that eats away our joy and enthusiasm. The only tools we have to combat it are determination and discipline. We can wallow in the trough of remorse, or we can get back on the horse and ride. Let disappointment be your teacher, and not the determining factor of your life.

                                                   In the Spirit,


                                                         Jane

No comments: