Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Life of Service


A Tribute to a Life Well Lived

How fleeting and insignificant is the lot of humankind—yesterday an embryo, tomorrow a mummy or ashes. So for the hair's-breadth of time assigned to you, live rationally, and part with life cheerfully, as the ripe olive drops to the ground, extolling the season that bore it and the tree that matured it.”
                                  Marcus Aurelius (121-180 CE, Rome)

A friend of mine died a week or so ago. His name was Dick Sales. He was an old preacher and teacher who served as a missionary in Africa for many years. His first wife died and was buried there. In the Zulu tradition, her sister came to marry him and raise his three children. He was forced to leave Africa when he stood with Desmond Tutu against apartheid. When he and his family returned to the states, he was minister of my church for many years. I remember his sermons being interspersed with wonderful stories of life in Africa. Clearly he loved the people he served. He and his wife, Nancy, bought a house in a predominantly African American neighborhood because they were most comfortable there. They continued their ministry, he as a teacher in the Theology Among the People program and she as an English as a second language teacher and GED tutor.

I have been fortunate to know a few people like Dick and Nancy in my lifetime. The example of their lives speaks for itself, without fanfare and pomp. I envy their self-less devotion and ego-less manner of being in the world. Once a decision to serve was made, they never looked back.

Living rationally and with joy is a choice we can make every day. I like the twelve-step approach of 'just for today—one day at a time'. Even in these strident times, with loud and angry voices, economic worries, and strife all around us, we can wake up in the morning, plant our feet and our attitude determinedly on the ground. We can say to ourselves, 'just for today, I will live in the moment and express gratitude for the goodness of life'. I can hand over to God the ones who are on my heart, knowing that they are in better hands than my own.

I give thanks today for having known Dick Sales, who daily lived the serenity prayer, for the example of his life, and for the service of his hands:

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, the sinful world as it is and not as I would have it;
trusting that {God} will make all things right if I surrender to {God's} will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life;
and supremely happy with {God} forever in the next.”

                                             Reinhold Niebuhr

                                                        In the spirit,
                                                         Jane

No comments: