Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gaining Perspective

Giving from Our Fullness

“The present moment is always full of infinite treasures, it contains far more than you have the capacity to hold…”
J.P. de Caussade

As a retired person, I am learning to live on a fixed income. I have studied my expenses, and determined how much I can spend on frivolous pursuits each month. It easily fits into the ‘not much’ category. From time to time, when I receive a larger-than-expected bill, I panic. I start dithering and making plans to put my house on the market. I entertain thoughts of begging friends for space in their basements. I picture myself in a homeless shelter. I have to go through these periodic fits of terror before I can bring myself around to clear-headedness—that I have ‘enough’ to pay my bills, and will simply spend less on something else this month. I take stock: roof over my head, bed to sleep in, food in the kitchen, clothes to wear, shoes for my feet. Check, check, check.

De Caussade’s quote goes on to say, “Faith is the measure; what you find in the present moment will be according to the measure of your faith.” I find that statement to be a bit insensitive. While it may be true for me, much of the world goes to bed hungry and lack of faith has nothing to do with it. Even in this bounteous country, some people do not have enough to eat or a safe place to sleep. The cure for someone like me is to stop dwelling on myself, and instead, direct my attention toward people who are hurting. I can claim the sentiment that ‘poverty is a matter of perspective’ for my self, but many others can not.

I don’t have a lot of money to give away, but I can provide other things. Part of the purpose of simplifying life during Lent, is to give away what you don’t need, to share the wealth you do possess with others. It is in giving away that we realize how much we have above and beyond what we truly need.

Keeping the faith,
Jane


No comments: