Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ask and You Shall Receive

The Gift of Grace

“Oh, God, give me grace for this day.
Not for a lifetime, nor for next week, nor
for tomorrow, just for this day….” Marjorie Holmes

I awoke at 4:45 this morning worrying about what to bring to my writing group which will meet for the first time tomorrow. I need to work on the third draft of my book, but some internal force has its heels dug in and is staying my hands and mind. One side of my brain says, ‘fight that, just write’, and the other side tells me to let it lay until the way is clear. At times of internal resistance, I ask for grace.

My church is struggling as are many mainstream churches. A shift in consciousness is occurring and views are changing in all religions. Old institutions and ways of believing are giving way to new faster than our human structures can accommodate. There is a push for those who remain to do ever more; to take on extra tasks and responsibilities. In times of physical challenge, I ask for grace.

Political turmoil is raging across the planet. Even in America, we are well into the throes of the presidential campaign and accusations and counter accusations are flying like bullets. Hyperbole and outright fabrication are the order of the day and no one knows where the truth lies. In these days of political unrest, I ask for grace.

Never in my life have I asked for grace and not received it. In simply asking, a shift occurs within. Knots unwind in the gut, and tight shoulders drop into comfort. The sun is not yet up, but grace has set the day on a different course. Marjorie Holmes’s prayer continues:

“Direct my thoughts and bless them.
Direct my work and bless it.
Direct the things I say and give them blessing, too.
Direct everything that I think and speak
and do. So that for this one day, just this one
day, I have the gift of grace that comes from
your presence…”

Amen,
Jane

No comments: