Friday, February 17, 2012

A Common Language

Lyrics of Connection

“You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.”

Cosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Teach Your Children Well)

I heard an interview yesterday with George Clinton, funk music legend of the 1960’s and 70’s. He was receiving an honorary doctorate from Berkley School of Music in Boston. When asked what kind of music excites him, he answered, “Any time I hear parents say to their children, ‘that’s not music’, that’s what I want to listen to.” Amen to that. Do you remember your parents telling you to ‘cut that noise off, that’s not music’! I do—about Elvis, and Jerry Lee Lewis and the Beatles. Anything that was not ‘big-band’ or gospel was not music to their ears. I am forever asking my sons to create CD’s (yes, I’m still in the dark ages) for me of the music they’re listening to. I want to know what is moving young people now; what speaks to them and why.

Music is like a dream. It emerges from the collective psyche of a generation and speaks their language in melody and rhythm. When Lady Gaga belts out, “There’s nothing wrong with lovin’ who you are, she said, cause He made you perfect, babe,” she’s singing the gospel of little girls everywhere who don’t feel good enough or pretty enough to measure up. George Clinton said that the harsh lyrics of rap music come out of the taunting and disparagement that children of color live with every day, and is a way to ‘say it first’ and ease the pain. I had never thought of that.

I remember the music that reflected the collective angst during the Viet Nam war, and how it kept body and soul together here while our fellow children were fighting and dying there. And no one can forget the anthem of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960’s, “We Shall Overcome.” Parents would do well to listen to the music that their children are plugged into; listen to understand and not to criticize. Better yet, let them to tell you what is means to them. Music is a bridge connecting the generations.

In the spirit,
Jane

1 comment:

Charles Kinnaird said...

Wise words, speaking as one who loves music and has listened to a few of his daughter's recommendations -- though I haven't done the make-a-CD-for-me-thing yet. But that sounds like a great idea!