Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Stretch Yourself

 

Believe in Everything

“I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, ‘This is what I believe. Finished.’ What I believe is alive and open to growth.”

Madeleine L’Engle

          What we believe seems more important today than in the past—simply because we’ve crossed a moral threshold that forces us to decide. Albert Einstein famously said, “I think the most basic question facing humanity is, ‘Is the universe a friendly place?’” And that comes down to us because we are an inseparable part of the universe. Do we want to create a friendly place or not?

          Spiritual beliefs are individual and often abstract, even when we subscribe to a particular coda of religious tenets. We interpret and conceive answers in individual ways. What, for instance, does it mean to “Honor your father and mother that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God has given you.” How do we interpret “honor” and what happens if we don’t? Do we die young or are we driven away? Does it apply if we have violently abusive parents? Most religions expect us to simply swallow the commandments without questioning, but what happens when you have a curious mind? Do you shelve that? Or is it a God-given gift that’s meant to be used?

          Our beliefs change over time, and questioning is how they grow. Just as we add information to our pool of knowledge over the course of a lifetime, we also expand our religious understanding. Why are we born with this capacity if we are not expected to use it. If our spiritual beliefs are static, if they don’t grow and change, then they are not alive.

          My kids used to ask me, “Mom, what do you believe in?” and my response was always, “I believe in everything.” And I do. The world is a magical place, and as deeply as I believe in anything, I believe in magic. The movement of the universe is expanding, broadening, reaching outward. It is a model for us—as above, so below. Expansion. Widening. Taking in all of it and allowing it to inform us of what is true, what is worthy, and what is sacred. What’s alive in you on this cold, first-day of winter?

                                                  In the Spirit,

                                                  Jane

No comments: