Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Habitat


Personal Space

I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.”
Frida Kahlo

The painters have finally finished in my house. Black dog Liza has a white side from running down the hallway too close to the wall. There is a new dog-door on the screen-porch that none of the pack will go through because it's, well...spooky, I guess. Ah, well, at least everything looks nice and clean and empty.

There's nothing quite like an empty canvas, or an empty wall that calls to us without giving us a single clue as to what to do with it. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time deciding what goes where. It has to come of its own volition through intuition, and not through thinking. My home is very important to me, as I'm sure yours is to you. My environment cannot be someone else's work. So it takes a while to recalibrate after a big change—for me and, apparently, for the dog-pack, too.

Like Frido Kahlo, we create our own reality; one that speaks of our needs and likes and gives us comfort. In essence, we paint our personal habitat. We may not be artists applying colors to canvas as she was, but we are none-the-less creators of art. We paint with bedspreads, and curtains, and pots and pans, with tools and technology. We spread things, and hang things, and place things, and before we know it, we've created a masterpiece out of all the old familiar things we love. Voila—home!

In the words of Jackson Pollock, “Every good painter paints what he is.” Our outer world is a reflection of our inner world. Since humans were hunter-gatherers, we have created home. When we had to carry it on our backs, or drag it on sleds, or pack it into wagons, we took both the accouterments essential to life and the ones that simply gave us joy. One for the body, one for the soul. Like Kahlo, we do that because we need to.

                                                     In the Spirit,
                                                          Jane

No comments: