Friday, March 15, 2019

But for the grace of God


Grace

I am grateful for all I have and for all I do not have.”
Caroline Myss (Caroline's Blog: “Except for the Grace of God Go I”)

Recently I went to a funeral on the west side of Birmingham. The church is in a neighborhood called Bush Hills; streets lined with old historic houses, once grand, but now a bit down at the heels. Surrounding that neighborhood are poor, run-down, shot-gun-houses and some public housing that has not been renovated within memory. I was at once repelled, and, at the same time, ashamed and sad at how I have adapted to seeing extreme poverty. At how we as a state and as a nation have adapted to it. I could drive through on my way back to my own neighborhood, which is clean and well-maintained, and not have to deal with the sight, much less the experience, of that crushing poverty.

When I was growing up, both my sisters had disabilities—the older, spina bifida, the younger, cerebral palsy. I often felt, and still do, “But for the Grace of God go I.” It seemed there was something important I should do because I had been spared. I worked for many years with folks with disabilities in that effort. But Grace is just that, isn't it? Grace cannot be earned. It is a gift. One without reason. It is not based on worthiness. It presents a conundrum for each of us in our own way. Why was I spared? Why am I not living in grinding poverty? Nothing but Grace.

The only thing I can do is express gratitude. I am grateful for what I have and for what I don't have. I have done nothing to earn this privilege, but Grace has seen fit to give it to me. The very least I can do is to get down on my knees and give thanks and share what I can. I wonder about you. What has Grace seen fit to provide? How do you show your gratitude?

                                                         In the Spirit,
                                                              Jane

No comments: