Friday, March 16, 2018

Which Path Suits You?

Choose Your Path

“Look at every path closely and deliberately.
Try it as many times as you think necessary.
Then ask yourself, and yourself alone...
Does this path have a heart? If it does, the
path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use.”
Carlos Castaneda

I was born in Cherokee County, North Carolina, in the little town of Murphy, set in a valley between the Hiwassee and Valley rivers. From my earliest memories until now, my most deeply connected moments are experienced in nature. I am rooted in the red clay and rolling mountains of Appalachia, and I most respect wisdom grounded in common sense. Spiritually speaking, I love the teachings of Jesus, but also those of many other individuals—Rilke, Nepo, Palmer, Moore, Rumi, just to name a few. I fervently believe that divine Spirit speaks today, and not just in ancient times by way of scripture. That is my chosen path.

I have some friends who are Taoists. They meditate every day and observe particular days of fasting and restraint. They study with a Taoist teacher, and at times travel to remote places to spend time in his presence. They sit for days in meditation, something that I would find impossible. I respect their devotion to the principles of the Tao and their dedication to their teacher. I have learned a great deal from them for which I am truly grateful.

It is important to open one's mind to other ways of experiencing the sacred. It is in narrowing our perspective that enmity for “the other” finds fertile ground. Such tunnel vision produces the mentality we see too much of today; the one that says, “There is only one true path, and that path is mine.” This way of thinking divides the human family, and provides a context for strife and for war.

There is value in all spiritual traditions. It is important to find the one that best suits you, and to be disciplined in following it. It’s equally important to learn from other traditions, and to take from them whatever feeds your soul. In the end, it is your devotion that matters—all genuine paths come from and lead to the same Source.

In the spirit,
Jane

No comments: