Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Inner Voices

Knowing Without Knowing Why

Despite all consequence, there is an inevitable honoring of what is true, and at this deep level of inner voice, it is not a summoning of will, but a following of true knowing.”
Mark Nepo (The Book of Awakening, p. 217)

I sent a young girl a quilt last week. The young girl, Kaidance, is a cousin; the grand-daughter of my first cousin, Anne. I barely know her; met her only once at the hospice when my Aunt Elaine, was dying. The quilt was one given to me by my grandmother, Mama, in 1966, when I first married. It is a butterfly quilt, with each block having an appliqued butterfly, made of different fabrics; all tied together with lavender and white. Mama did very fine hand stitching, better than anything I have ever done.

But here's the story—beginning a couple of months ago, an inner voice said to me, “Give Kaidance a quilt.” I argued, as always; “I don't know Kaidance; how would I know what she even likes?” But the voice was persistent. Now, I do know Kaid plays banjo, and I know she likes horses, because Anne posts such information on Facebook. Otherwise, I know only that she's about ten or eleven years old. As the weeks went by, the voice inside my head became more insistent, but I knew it would take at least a year to make a quilt about banjos or horses. Finally, when I was storing my quilts for the summer in a closet downstairs, I noticed Mama's butterfly quilt among them. It practically jumped off the shelf with the instruction, “Send this quilt to Kaidance!” Later that day, when I was trying to take a nap, and the voice literally yelled, “Get up and send the quilt!” So I did!

Well, it turns out that lavender is Kaid's favorite color, her bedroom is painted lavender, the curtains are lavender, and she has a lavender plant on her windowsill. Mama would be her great-great-grandmother, who, of course, Kaid never knew. Call me a mystic, but I think it was Mama's voice urging me to send the quilt to her.

I am learning to listen to the inner voices, to pay attention to coincidence, and synchronicity. They seem to be happening more frequently in my life, and that is good. I need all the guidance I can get, and this deep level of “knowing without knowing why” is speaking truth. How about you? Are you paying attention?

                                                          In the Spirit,
                                                             Jane









No comments: