Saturday, October 29, 2016

Who ya gonna call?

Listen to Yourself

When the voice and the vision on the inside is more profound, and more clear than all the opinions on the outside, you've begun to master your life...I'd rather have the whole world against me than my soul.”
Dr. John

You know, I've decided that getting to know yourself well is the primary adventure of a lifetime. There are so many things I don't like about myself, but then there are so many things I don't like about everybody! Why should I be any different? And, there are a few things that I actually do like about myself—one is that I have learned to listen on the inside more than I listen to the outside. It took me a long time to get there, but I did it. I'd like to be accepted, liked and respected by others, but if I have to eliminate half of who I am to get that, then I can live without it. I wonder whether you feel that way, too.

We humans embody the 3 C's: Complex, Contradictory and Complicated. Even if we don't have a stellar IQ, even if we live a very simple life, we are many faceted beings. There's a post circulating on Facebook about the traits of highly intelligent people. It says that they are messy, they talk to themselves, they swear a lot, and they stay awake way more than they sleep. Shana Lebowitz, of Business Insider, reports that highly intelligent people are also adaptable, understand how much they don't know, are open-minded, enjoy their own company, have high self-control, are funny, and, at the same time, sensitive to other people's feelings. Complex, right?

Here's the truth: we humans need to stop following the herd, and start thinking for ourselves. In the big scheme of things, what really matters to you? If you peel away the surface and look down inside, who's there? What do you truly value? Who is the real you? Where, and with whom, are you completely unguarded and most comfortable being yourself? Putting aside the slogans, cliches, and pop-culture trends, what are you truly devoted to, invested in? Follow that vision. Listen to that voice. Let all the background noise fade away, and just listen to your soul.

                                                                 In the Spirit,

                                                                     Jane

No comments: