Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Live fully, love wastefully...

Wasteful Love

I do assert that one prepares for eternity not by being religious and keeping the rules, but by living fully, loving wastefully, and daring to be all that each of us has the capacity to be.”
John Shelby Spong

Yesterday, at a memorial service for the five police officers slain in Dallas, Chief of Police, David Brown, invoked the words of a Stevie Wonder song from the 1970's (“As”) to express to the grieving families what it means to love wastefully. Some of his lines were:

...Until the day is night and night becomes the day, I'll be loving you
Until the trees and stars just up and fly away, I'll be loving you.
Until the earth starts turning right to left, I'll be loving you.
Until the earth, just for the sun, denies itself, I'll be loving you.
Until you are me and I am you, I'll be loving you...”

We humans get so caught up in the rules, in who is right and who is wrong, who's doing things correctly and who's not, whose god is the real God, and whose is not. We forget the one simple, unchanging rule—do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It doesn't matter which religion you espouse, or whether you espouse any religion at all, that rule applies. John Shelby Spong says, “I think we have to get back to our spiritual nature. The way we have interpreted [religion] does not do that.” Wasteful love does not exclude, it does not divide, it does not separate and defend. Wasteful love unites, and cares and provides.

Today, let's all spread some wasteful love. Let's live fully, and be all that we have the capacity to be. Eternity is now.

                                                         In the Spirit

                                                             Jane

No comments: