Sunday, June 26, 2016

Decision, decisions, decisions...

Crossing Bridges

Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn.”
Bertrand Russsell

I wonder whether you wrestle with difficult decisions. There is a grace somehow to being a highly decisive person; to making decisions quickly and without reluctance and then forging ahead with nary a backward glance. At least, I imagine there is—I wouldn't know, because I gnaw on every decision endlessly. It's a shell game in which there are too many shells and only one pea. I move them around, and move them around, and only discover the pea when I knock the table over and it rolls away.

One of the most difficult aspects of life, at least for me, is deciding whether to stay or go, to continue or stop. Whether the question is about relationships, or work, or which route I will take to get all my errands run, I deliberate. There are whole days when I wish for a magic genie that can foresee the future and tell me what to do. Usually, I end up making decisions by default. Or, I find out what I'm going to do as I'm doing it, as though someone else is pulling the strings.

Sometimes, when we have difficulty making a decision, there is a good reason. Something inside us, not our thinking mind but our intuitive self, knows there is justification for delay, or at least, to move slowly. That intuition, that gut instinct, is non-verbal, so it doesn't talk to us, it communicates through feelings. When something, or someone, comes along and looks like the right thing, the right person, but something inside us hesitates, it's wise to listen. It could simply be our general lack of trust, or it could be that intuitively we know something is not what it seems.

Deciding which bridge to cross and which to burn is worthy of contemplation. When the thinking mind and the intuitive self are in agreement, that is the time to act decisively. Then we enter into whatever life holds for us with our whole self, and not with part of us looking backward, and wondering whether we've made the right decision.

                                                        In the Spirit,

                                                            Jane

No comments: