Sunday, May 1, 2016

Two Standing Stones

Courage and Kindness

Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone.
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.”
Adam Lindsay Gordon

I especially like the first line of this poem: “Life is mostly froth and bubble.” How quickly I forget that. I go about my days anxious about this and that, making mountains out of mole hills, and the next day that particular crisis passes, and I move on to the next. I wonder whether this is true for you, too. We tend to blow things out of proportion to its actual significance.

Example: I went to a funeral yesterday of a woman who had been a life-long member of the church. It is tradition that people are given opportunity during the funeral service to speak openly about the dearly departed, and since no one in her family spoke up, some of her church family took on the task of expressing fondness for her. I spoke about her late husband, whom I adored, and what a loving relationship they had. We all said kind things, and yet, I worried for the rest of the day and into this morning, that what I said may have offended some members of the family. Truth is, probably not one single person there even remembers today what was said yesterday, or who said it, and could care less. We almost always take ourselves more seriously than anyone else takes us. Froth and bubbles.

Now and then, it is wise to step back and ask ourselves this question: In the big scheme of things, how important is this? Ninety-eight percent of the time, we will answer, “Not important in the least.” We could even ask ourselves that question BEFORE we spend eight or ten hours going over everything said or done, and pondering all the possible consequences. Just think how much energy that would free up! Take courage, dear hearts, and most of all, be kind.

                                                In the Spirit,

                                                     Jane

No comments: