Sunday, January 17, 2016

Asking for Help

Making Time for Prayer

The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
Soren Kierkegaard

These are praying days, my friend. With half the world up in flames, a raging el nino in the Pacific, and a dark trickster running for leader of the “free world”, we need some divine intervention here. Perhaps Vladimir Nabokov's prayer is best, “Dear Jesus, do something.” I don't know if you're a praying person or not, but if you are, now's the time.

Taking a long view of human history, I realize this is not our darkest hour, but it's dark enough to warrant all of us following Abraham Lincoln's example: “I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all around me seemed insufficient for that day.”

Just as I don't believe God to be a super-human up in the sky, I don't believe that Superman-God will reach down and make the necessary adjustments here on earth. What I do believe is that the energy of masses of people praying can change the world soul from hatred and destruction to calmness and peace. Prayer calms us; prayer turns rampant cynicism and mistrust, into inner peace. And, no matter what you're facing, inner peace helps you to navigate with wisdom. “The more you pray, the less you panic...You'll feel more patient and less pressured.” (Rick Warren)

Prayer is a spiritual practice we need today and every day. No matter what you call the Divine Presence, connect with your whole body/mind and ask for help for the world. I know we're busy people, but prayer can be done at any time. I'll leave you with the words of Martin Luther: “I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”

                                                                In the Spirit,
                                                                     Jane



No comments: