Saturday, August 23, 2014

Smell the Roses

Awareness

Joy has to do with seeing how big, how completely unobstructed, and how precious things are. Resenting what happens to you and complaining about your life are like refusing to smell the wild roses when you go for a morning walk, or like being so blind that you don't see the huge black raven when it lands in the tree that you're sitting under...”
Pema Chodron

Once, years ago, I was at a gathering of women in the desert of southern Arizona. We were supposed to spend the afternoons in silence, but many of the 120 women who were there found it impossible to be quiet for a whole afternoon, and so I, seeking silence, walked out into the desert alone. I stumbled upon a dried creek bed, a flat, and walked up it for about a mile until I spied a stumpy, wind-driven tree to sit under and write. I settled myself and pulled my binder and pen from the backpack in preparation. Just about the time I had begun to scribble, there was a rustling above me, and a giant horned owl took flight not three feet above my head. It was, to say the least, a surreal experience—and how on God's green earth I could have missed that enormous bird in that stumpy tree, I do not know. To say that I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, I did not have eyes to see is the grossest of understatements.

We can and do walk through our days oblivious to our surroundings unless we decide to be conscious. To continue Pema Chodron's quote above, “We can get so caught up in our own personal pain or worries that we don't notice that the wind has come up or that somebody has put flowers on the dining room table or when we walked out in the morning, the flags weren't up, and when we came back, they were flying. Resentment, bitterness, and holding a grudge prevent us from seeing and hearing and tasting and delighting.” It is in these everyday events, in our awareness of the pleasures provided for free, that joy has an opportunity to burst unexpected into our lives.

In my desert experience, I was so busy resenting the talking women in the compound, that I missed the huge raptor sitting just above my head. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

                                                       In the Spirit,

                                                           Jane

No comments: