Monday, August 25, 2014

Blue Sky, Fine Day

Notice and Give Thanks

The clouds above us join and separate,
The breeze in the courtyard leaves and returns.
Life is like that, so why not relax?
Who can stop us from celebrating?”
Lu Yu

After a solid week of blistering heat, this morning is a balmy 78 degrees. A breeze is jingling the wind-chimes as the August sun peeks above the treeline. I notice and give thanks. Better enjoy this while I can.

Yesterday, as my son and I drove down the expressway, he pointed to ship-shaped clouds in a perfect row across Birmingham's skyline like sailboats in a regatta. Big, puffy, cumulonimbus clouds bunched against the western horizon, framed by cerulean blue sky. The raindrops they held evaporated before they reached the parched earth, but I felt grateful that my son noticed the beauty of the sky.

An important part of living a spiritual life is seeing oneself as native. I am part of this beautiful morning with leaves dancing to the music of wind and chimes. I am part of this beautiful earth. I am not simply an inhabitant on a particular planet in this solar system. I sprang from its very ground, just as did the trees and grass. I am one with it all and you are one with it all. Notice and give thanks.

                                                       In the Spirit,

                                                            Jane

No comments: