Thursday, May 22, 2014

Good People

Flowers of Kindness

Just as many kinds of garlands can be made from a heap of flowers, so also much good can be done by a mortal being.”
The Dhammapada of the Buddha

Who do you think of when I ask, “Who is the best person you know?” What exactly do we mean when we describe someone as a “good person?” What instantly leaps to mind for me are the words of Jesus from Mark 10:18, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.” He was quite correct, technically speaking; all of us are both good and bad—bad in that we harbor hateful thoughts, we judge and criticize, even if we do it only in the quiet of our hearts. Regardless of that, any of us can do great good.

When I think of the best person I know, I would have to say Annette jumps to mind. She is an Art Therapist who goes to places where children have been through terrible trauma and does what she can to help them heal. Or I might think of the little girl I've seen on TV who knits hats for children who have cancer and are going through chemo-therapy. She's only a child, but she's inspired an entire network of people to start knitting hats for the sick children in their communities. I think of Ron and Fern, who fostered more than twenty children in their lives and provided a happy home for kids who had never known one. I'll bet you, too, can name people who have devoted themselves to making life better for others. It is likely that none of them are perfect people, but that hasn't kept them from doing great good.

I am grateful that there are folks in this world who want to share their lives with people in need. But, I don't believe that one must devote one's entire life to the care of others to be a "good person." I think that all of us, in spite of being profoundly flawed, have the capacity to do what is right. We can start by simply being kind to the people around us. We can keep from speaking until the words we say do not sting the person to whom they are directed. We can hold our criticism, and keep our harsh opinions to ourselves. I need these lessons more than anyone. Another teaching from the Dhammapada says, “Do not look at the faults of others, or what others have done or not done; observe what you yourself have done or not done.” We can all learn from that.

                                                 In the Spirit,

                                                      Jane

No comments: