Saturday, August 11, 2012

Not a worldly woman.


Traveling Wisdom

I must tell you that I am not one of the Divine who march into the desert and return gravid with wisdom. I've traveled many cook-fires and spread angel bait round every sleeping place. But more often than getting wisdom, I've gotten indelicate episodes of Giardiasis, E. coli, and amebic dysentery. Such is the fate of a middle class mystic with delicate intestines.”
                   Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Women Who Run With the Wolves)

Some years ago, I traveled with a group of women to several places in Central America to see ancient Mayan ruins and to visit a modern day Mayan village where some friends of our organizer lived and managed a weaving cooperative. It was a long trip, about twelve days, most of it in a rickety bus on unpaved roads. By the third day, I was tired of eating the same food every meal. I ran out of money quickly because as soon as we walked out our door, wherever we were, there were beggars, usually children, wanting to haggle for their goods. I loved their tapestries, but my budget didn't allow for an all out spending spree. There was a mother-teenaged daughter duo traveling with us who fought every single day for the entire trip. By mid-trip my patience with everyone had vanished. I was snippy with the begging children and my fellow travelers alike.

I learned many things from that trip that have unfolded over time and with distance. First, I am not cut out to be a world traveler. Good thing to know. Second; I had no idea just how fortunate I am to live in a country where there is infrastructure—like plumbing, electricity and paved roads. Third; I am astonishingly ignorant of other cultures and customs. I live in a bubble here in the USA, where I can go anywhere I want to and stay in safe and comfortable surroundings. For a while after the trip, I remained amazed at the fact that I could turn on a tap and get clean drinking water.

I also learned how it feels to be a stranger in a strange land. I could not speak the language, and that fact alone made me feel isolated and vulnerable. There were 'bandits' operating on the roads, stopping buses of tourists and robbing them at gunpoint. Our bus driver has been robbed three times. I felt at risk, insecure. I learned the limits of my bravery, as well as my compassion—short, very short.

I realized the extent to which I lack generosity. We visited many small Catholic parish churches where poor Mayan people came with the first fruits of their labor, and heaped them on the altar, lit candles and prayed. They gave greatly, largely, with what little they had. We happened to be there during the season of Lent, and every day they paraded of the icons of the church through the dirt streets of whatever village we were in, with hymn singing and marching men, women and children. They practiced their religion in a physical way; joyfully, and with exuberant hearts. They exercised gratitude.

Spiritually, I am still learning from that trip. I am glad I went, even though it was difficult. The Mayan people are made of iron-strong stuff—they are tough and determined in the face of hardship. They pull together, and support one another. We could learn a lot from them.

                                   In the spirit,
                                  Jane

No comments: